Monday, March 07, 2011

Leonard's femoral head ostetomy

Leonard fell off of a footstool while avoiding being brushed. He yowled and started dragging his right hind leg behind him. I tried to see what he had done and he growled. I KNEW something was wrong.

Leonard is a pansy.

I took him to the emergency vet, and it turned out he had fractured the femoral head.

He needed a femoral head osteotomy. After reading a little bit, I listened to the vet, and did what he recommended. I work in healthcare and am good at what I do . I have to trust that Vets are too.

He had his surgery today , and did well. He has a shaved hindquarter, a fentanyl patch, and was pretty gorked when I saw him after work.

When I adopted him I promised him I would take care of him. I had to put his surgery on credit. But would pay anything to spend ten more minutes with my cats who have died.

Life is a bargain.

I saw him tonight, kissed his head, kissed his paws and thanked him for doing his best.

He comes home tomorrow.

I will take photos, and hope that someone who is facing this gets as much comfort from Leonard's experience as I did from others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home